Do you have current experience of working in an insurance-based, customer services environment? Ideally a health insurance company but we will consider candidates from other general insurance backgrounds or candidates who have experience working in a medical environment with a strong admin background or some other financial services industries.
Salary up to £21,500 doe
Monday to Friday
Holiday: 25 days plus bank holidays
Benefits: Private medical and Pension
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to join a trusted independent private medical insurance company based in Bournemouth/Poole,
Our client is rapidly growing both in the UK and internationally. We are looking to strengthen and expand our presence in the private health insurance market and deliver outstanding customer support. That is why we are looking to recruit an Underwriting Assistant to help us achieve this goal through excellent communication skills and passion for customer service.
About the role
The underwriting team are responsible for the pricing, administration, and renewal of our customer’s policies both directly and /or via their insurance broker. Generate renewal terms with a view to retaining the policy but at a sustainable price for both the customer and the insurer and reacting to market feedback with revised terms where appropriate. The role, therefore, requires, excellent communication and customer service skills at all times.
Technical and operational responsibilities
• Receive and assess new business quote requests within our published service level agreement.
• Obtain additional information by contacting the customer or the broker if necessary.
• Follow up new business quotations and negotiate final price with the customer or broker.
• Setting up new policies after ensuring that all required information has been provided.
• Medically underwrite applications where appropriate with the assistance of the medical adviser.
• Recommend final acceptance terms and seek sign off from Underwriting Manager.
• Issue new business policies with appropriate documents.
• Review claims history of each policy due for renewal.
• Recommend renewal terms and obtain sign off from Underwriting Manager
• Issue renewal terms and follow up.
• Negotiate renewal with customer or broker reacting to market feedback if applicable.
• General policy administration.
• Promote the best image for the company through the professional appearance and behaviour and adhere to company standards and procedures.
Education and experience
Essential education and experience
• Current experience of working in an insurance-based, customer services environment, ideally a health insurance company but will consider candidates from other general insurance backgrounds.
• Computer literate and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
Desirable education and experience
• Working towards Cert CII or other
In addition, you must be prepared to participate and be an active part of the team. All members of the underwriting team are required to work together and support each other to ensure we operate smoothly and efficiently and provide the high level of customer service we aim to give at all times.
This means you must be:
• Able to work well under pressure and in the face of short deadlines;
Have excellent communication, administration and negotiation skills and be confident, over the phone and in writing.
• Flexible and approachable, adapting and responding to team objectives at short notice;
• Well organised and able to prioritise a workload of varied and important tasks; and
• Able to work on your own with minimal supervision as well as an integral part of the team.
The normal office hours are 9am to 6pm with the 5.30pm to 6pm ‘slot’ currently covered on a rota basis – once you are trained and confident in the role, you would be expected to join the rota and provide that cover In return, you will receive a competitive salary depending on experience and 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.